In 2005, ITA started construction of one of the most modern greenhouses for Greek and European standards through its 100% subsidiary “Drama Greenhouses S.A.” at the city of Drama in Northern Greece. The 10-ha state-of-the-art glasshouse is heated by an on-site 4,8 MW natural gas fired CHP plant.
The project was inaugurated in September 2006 and operates successfully since then, attracting the interest of the European Market of fresh produce and it is generally acknowledged as one of the most modern greenhouses in Europe.
- The total budget reached 18,6 million € and was raised 30% by ΙΤΑ Group funds, 35% by loan from Emporiki bank of Greece and 35% by EU subsidy.
- The greenhouse is heated by a 4,8 MW gas fired CHP plant (3 x Caterpillar 3516 E 1600 kW) & dual fuel peak boilers of 2 x 8.000.000 kcal/h
- Production of 2,200 tons per year of sweet coloured peppers (capsicum, red – yellow – orange – green) for export to European markets, certified according to Eurepgap, Nature’s choice, Sedex.
- 25,000 MWh of electricity production annually.
- Use of exhaust gases (through oxidation catalyst systems) for greenhouse CO2 feed.
- Hydroponics cultivation on inert material (rockwool).
- Integrated biological pest control.
- Natural pollination with bumble bees.
- Computerised optimal control of climate, irrigation system, screening (shade, heat saving and insect screens on the vents), ventilation, fogging and roof washing machine.
- 500 m² cooling chambers.
- Automatic grading and packing station.
Visit Drama’s Greenhouse website at http://www.dgsa.com.gr/